Sunday

WORLD TOUR – Match 5

Our final match in Africa was against Namibia.


This international level cricket is tough. We won the toss and batted, and saw Richard bowled first ball. I’m sorry Richard, but I’m not sure the experiment of an opening-bat-wicket-keeper has paid off. We’ll give it one more try next week, but if you don’t get at least a half-century, I think we’ll have to consider a move to no. 7.


Mind you, the rest of us did little better, on a very interesting wicket. With Lisa and Steg also bowled for ducks, we had scored an impressive total of just 2 runs for the loss of 3 wickets when I arrived at the crease.


A couple of quick boundaries from me soon multiplied our total by 5, before my wicket too fell.


Fran and Doc made a bit of a stand (10 whole runs) but when Doc’s wicket fell we were standing at a dismal 20-6.


Phil managed to hit the ball twice – but both times the ball ran to the boundary (his 8 runs made him, with me, our top scorers).


We were all out for 35, which seemed an impossibly low target to defend.


Tea was very pleasant. ILTV had brought us some pastries back from France. Vicus seemed quite disappointed to discover the French tarts he’d been promised were in fact filled with apricot.


The wicket had been taking spin quite well, and I thought that we could perhaps stop them scoring too fast by using our slower bowlers, so I decided to open with Phil and myself for the first spell, and review the situation after that.


The wicket did indeed suit my style of bowling, something the Namibians had clearly never met before. At the end of our spell their score stood at a mere 23 runs, but more importantly, they had also lost 8 wickets.


Three of Fran’s slow balls polished-off the tail, and they were all out for 23, and so we won again.


So it’s off to Australasia, for the next leg of our tour.

4 comments:

Greg said...

Definitely snatched from the jaws of defeat there. Well played, everybody!

Phil said...

I think that managing to hit the ball twice represents a marked improvement in my game.

Richard said...

The problematic thing about opening the batting and also keeping wicket is that I am forever worried that folk might think that I'm deliberately emulating Alec Stewart. Emulating him is the last thing I'd like to do. No 7 suits me far better. If we're to have the characteristics of other players I would rather they were of a former Kent No 7 and keeper, thanks (and I don't mean the 2005 version either).

I, Like The View said...

glad you liked the tarts, but sorry to disappoint vicus. . .