Sunday

WORLD TOUR – Match 6

The first of a three-match series against Australia. This was against a sub-strength team (i.e. we played them at county standard) – the next two will be harder (i.e. full international).


I won the toss and decided to bat. I knew their bowling and fielding would be tough, so Richard and I tried to stay in for as long as we could, without worrying too much about the runs. Sadly, after we were out, the usual collapse followed, only Fran and Medusa getting into double figures.


We ended up with a very modest 101 all out.

Tea was a very pleasant barbie (is that how Australians spell it?).


I was very conscious that the Australians might well bat within themselves, and then, as they would probably have plenty of wickets in hand, go for a real slog at the end; playing a hunch I decided to reserve spin for the end, in the hope that this might surprise and contain them.


Tom did his usual trick of getting a caught and bowled in the first over; thereafter they played more defensively, as I had predicted, with their numbers 2 and 3 between them facing 16 overs before Tom and Doc managed to winkle them out.


Vicus and Mincat bowled reasonably tightly, before Phil and I came on to bowl the last 11 overs (yes, I’d miscounted, so didn’t get my full potential spell of 6 overs). Phil played his part, only costing us 16 runs from his 6 overs, but it was, I have to admit, my bowling which really frustrated them – two runs came off the first over, and then I bowled four maiden overs.


Their annoyance showed towards the end, when they tried to hit me out of the ground, and four of them fell to my crafty slower balls. I was particularly pleased with the wicket of Shane Worde, probably the best spin bowler in the world, who was himself deceived by my spin, out for a duck on his second ball.


In the end we restricted them to just 46-8, and so we won.

We go one up in the three match mini-series. Having three matches, I will be able to ensure that every player in the squad gets at least one game against Australia.

Next week will be harder.

3 comments:

Greg said...

Excellent work. But three "run out"s? Sprinting practice required!

Phil said...

Barbie may be very pleasant, but Ken is a right so-and-so.

Anonymous said...

Barbie? I thought her name was Sheila!