Sunday

Saturday 21st june 2008

Pakistan won the toss, and elected to bat, on a hard, dry wicket – presumably expecting it to break up by the time they bowled. For the same reason, I reserved spin for the second half of the innings, hoping we might have some cracks, or at least dusty patches, to aim for.

Tom took the first wicket, as an edge flew to Richard: 16-1, and then followed with one of his trademark caught-and-bowleds: 24-2. I realised then that, however many wickets I might eventually take, it would be fewer than last week.


Christopher achieved a caught-and-bowled in the next over: 28-3.


Their next pair, however, settled in and started to score relatively freely; 20 overs through saw the score at 78-3, and I decided it was time to introduce spin. My decision was justified when Mincat took a fine catch off my bowling: 78-4.


Vicus held a catch off my next over: 79-5.


Ivy dropped a catch during my next over, but Phil managed to bowl the chap shortly thereafter, so no harm done: 95-6.


Two balls later and Ivy held a catch: 96-7.


I polished off the tail with a hat-trick, and a five-fer: 96 all out.


I must apologise that I failed to take a photograph of the bowling statistics. I can tell you that Christopher got one wicket, Tom took 2 for 41, Phil 2 for 9 and I managed 5 for 9.


Over tea Vicus was heard loudly complaining that he had bowled fewer overs than the other pace men, and therefore had less chances to improve his statistics. I decided, therefore, that it was only fair to allow him to go out first, on this wicket which was now looking distinctly unfriendly, to face the Pakistan fast bowlers.


The first ball hit him in the ribs. The second one struck him on the elbow. The third one split his box in two. The fourth one did the same to his middle stump. Out, after having faced rather fewer balls than he might have hoped, albeit that his injuries were less than we had expected: 0-1.


Two balls later Carol followed him back to the pavilion: 1-2.


They really were bowling very fast, as CB found when she too was bowled the next over: 1-3.


Eventually Steg and Christopher managed to get their eyes in, and whilst essentially playing defensively, did manage to score a few runs, until Steg was caught-and-bowled: 19-4.


I had delayed coming in myself, as I do not relish fast bowling. I had no choice now, so came out at number 6. Christopher and I stayed together for several defensive overs, hoping to see the fast bowlers off, before Christopher edged to the slips: 28-5.


Richard was clean bowled: 30-6.


Eventually the slower bowlers were brought on, and I felt I had no choice but to attack, and try to push our score along – sadly I edged a ball to the keeper: 42-7.


Phil was given out LBW: 44-8.


Mincat edged the next ball to the keeper: 44-9.


Our last wicket fell when Tom was bowled. All out for 45. Not our greatest performance.

No comments: