Sunday

Saturday 28th June 2008

After last week’s shambles, I must admit I was concerned to learn that we were playing South Africa this week. My worries deepened when they won the toss and decided to bat.


The match started quietly enough; a gentle accumulation of runs until the 8th over, when Christopher managed a clean bowled: 14-1.


The first change of bowlers saw MinCat get an edge to Richard; 16-2.


They attacked us during the next eight overs –Tom in particular not looking his usual aggressive self – finally Phil held a catch off Mincat’s bowling: 46-3.


Three more expensive overs from our openers, and the score had risen to 72, and so I decided it was time to risk spin, in the hope that we might slow them up. A maiden over from me seemed to be doing the trick, but two sixes off Phil’s next over rather undid my good work.


They attacked Phil’s second over too, but one of their aerial balls failed to cross the rope and was caught by Ivy: 94-4.


I wasn’t sure we could afford to buy wickets, so brought Mincat and Vicus back – Christopher held a catch off Vicus: 123-5 and Richard one off the next ball: 123-6.


I held a catch off Mincat’s bowling: 124-7.


Vicus’ bladder problem was hampering his run-up, so I brought myself back on, taking two quick wickets: 132-8, 132-9.


Christopher polished them off, with an edge to Richard: all out for 132.


Ostrich egg sandwiches for tea were, apparently, someone’s bright idea to make our visitors feel at home.


After last week’s dismal batting performance, lots of time had been spent in the nets, and I promised a few people the chance to bat a bit higher up the order – particularly as 133 didn’t seem an impossible target.


Carol getting herself run out in the first over was not part of the plan: 1-1.


Ivy scored a creditable 11 against hostile fast bowling, before being bowled: 13-2.


CB’s was the next wicket to fall, caught behind: 36-3.


Phil was caught and bowled, having scored a valuable 16 runs: 43-4.


Steg was bowled soon after: 48-5.


Chris and I managed to hold the ship together, and steadily amassed the runs, until he was
bowled: 74-6.


I was then unfortunately given out LBW, trying (stupidly) to sweep the first ball from their spin bowler: 78-7.


Mincat was run out: 80-8.


In desperation, Richard, our last remaining recognised batsman, struck a magnificent six, but was then caught and bowled the next ball: 88-9.


Our innings ended when Tom was adjudged LBW: all out for 90.


We lose again. Extra work in the nets, I feel, will be required this week.

No comments: