Sunday

Saturday 5th July 2008

After two hopeless performances, I arranged what should have been a rather easier match. Let’s face it, the Netherlands aren’t renowned in the cricketing world.


I won the toss, and realising that we needed as much batting practice as possible, decided we’d bat first. To be perfectly honest, their bowling attack was fairly innocuous, so I can only conclude that some of you weren’t taking this seriously.


Our first wicket fell when Carol edged the ball to the keeper: 31-1.


CB sliced the ball to the slips: 43-2.


Steg was given out LBW: 72-3.


Christopher edged the ball to the slips: 83-4.


I was clean bowled: 87-5.


Richard also edged the ball to the slips: 93-6.


Phil was bowled: 102-7.


As was MinCat: 106-8.


Vicus was given out LBW: 114-9.


Tom was bowled, leaving us all out for 117.


A bowl of oranges was presented to us for tea.


I felt their batting line-up probably posed no challenges to our modest total, so said that
everyone could have a bowl, while I took the other end, and tried to keep things tight.


Vicus bowled an opener in his over: 0-1.


My first ball clean bowled the other opener: 4-2.


My second ball also took a wicket: 4-3.


Phil dropped a caught-and-bowled chance.


The next over saw me hit for four boundaries, and I considered taking myself off, but things
changed rapidly in the next over, as Tom bowled a man with his first and third balls, and achieved an LBW with his 5th: 28-6.


I took a wicket the next over: 30-7.


Two overs later I took another, and another (giving me a five-fer) and then a hat-trick to finish the match: 32 all out.


We mustn’t crow. I anticipate stronger opposition next week.

No comments: