Sunday

Saturday 26th July 2008.

As we were in Africa, I fixed up a game against Kenya. They won the toss, and decided to bat.

Vicus took a wicket in the first over: 1-1.

That may have given us a false impression of their ability, as they then started to attack our mainline bowlers, and it took some time before Tom managed to get an edge, held by a diving Richard: 30-2.

Two balls later, a yorker knocked over off stump: 31-3.

I bowled my man the next over: 31-4 And another: 31-5 And one more: 31-6.

My kidneys were troubling me, so I took myself off at this point. Unfortunately, none of our other bowlers seemed able to trouble them, and runs were flowing freely, so I reluctantly dragged myself back, knocking over all four of their remaining wickets for 2 runs (both extraordinary umpiring decisions, given as no-balls). All out for 80 – oh, and yet another 5-fer for me.

There were some heated words said about the umpires at tea. I’m not sure Vicus really helped to cool things down, when he poured a cup of tea over one of them.

Before my back stiffened any more, I decided to open the batting myself. They turned out to be quite quick bowlers, as Carol found to her cost when she nicked the ball to the keeper: 18-1.

I was then given out LBW in an extraordinary display of umpiring incompetence – the replay clearly showing that the ball had hit my bat: 25-2.

CB was caught: 38-3

As was Steg: 46-4.

Christopher was caught-and-bowled: 48-5.

Ivy was out LBW: 51-6.

Richard was bowled: 62-7.

It looked very much as if we were in for the same sort of disaster that had overtaken us last week, when finally all the hard work Phil had put in at the pie-shop, sorry, nets paid off, as he saw us home – finishing the match with a well-executed boundary. We won.

No comments: