Sunday

Saturday 19th July 2008

We had a match planned against Zimbabwe, but for obvious reasons I cancelled it. However the minibus had been booked to take us to Africa, so at short notice I arranged to arrange a game against the Namibian national side.

I think we all assumed this would be a walk in the park; certainly I had plenty of volunteers to bowl at them, so when I won the toss I put them in, and said that everyone could bowl one over – starting with our weaker bowlers, and leaving the heavy guns to break any resistance.

It looked as if we were right, as in the second over I bowled a man with my first ball (yes, I do consider myself one of our weaker bowlers – certainly the computer ranking shows five bowlers with better abilities than me at present): 2-1.

Sadly, Ivy dropped a catch off my third ball.

The runs slowly but steadily built after that, with no more chances being offered, until I eventually brought the big boys on – and Richard held on to an edge off Tom’s bowling: 28-2.

Vicus eventually sent a stump flying: 43-3.

Phil too bowled his man: 69-4.

I polished off the tail in seven balls, including a hat-trick and yet another five-fer. All out for 70.

There were some excited faces over tea. Our batting seemed to have steadied last week, and their attack didn’t look threatening. Certain people had great expectations that we would score the necessary runs inside ten overs.

We were soon shaken out of our complacency, when CB, looking to repeat last week’s half-century, was out for a duck when the score had reached: 15-1.

I was bowled soon after: 15-2.

Carol as given out LBW: 25-3.

Steg scored quickly, but was then caught: 42-4.

Richard was caught by the keeper: 45-5.

Christopher was run out going for a suicidal second run: 66-6.

Still, we only needed five runs to win, with four wickets in hand.

Make that three wickets, when Phil was clean bowled: 66-7.

A single and two no-balls brought the score to 69-7 – one run needed to tie.

Mincat played on: 69-8.

Ivy was bowled: 69-9.

Tom’s wicket fell too, and so we lost by one run.

More time in the nets everyone.

No comments: