Saturday

WORLD TOUR – Match 16

Well, after the last few matches, I suspect we all thought this was going to be a stroll in the park. The USA aren’t, after all, noted for their cricketing prowess.

They won the toss, and elected to bat. I said I’d try to give you all at least one over to bowl at them, provided they lasted that long – and I’d start with those of you who don’t normally bowl.


Call me selfish, if you like, but it’s my game, and I’m captain, so I did reserve the right to take one end as mine from the start, and bowl all my overs in one go. Sadly, you didn’t all get a chance to bowl, as we knocked them over fairly quickly.

I took the last four wickets with the first four balls of my final over. My only slight disappointment is that Carol and Vicus between them managed to stop me getting a ten-wicket haul for the first time in my life. Still, I think 9 wickets for one run (and that was a no-ball) is still probably my lifetime best (so far, anyway).



We had time to play our innings before tea; Phil was urging us to get it over with as soon as possible, as he’d seen the size of the burgers we were having. I had intended to put myself down at number eleven, to give the rest of you a chance to bat, but a slip of the finger put me in at number one instead – so I quite deliberately lifted my bat, and allowed myself to be clean bowled (although even then it took them three balls to do it).



It was not my intention that the rest of our top order batspeople should follow that example – but that’s what happened. Finally, Richard (who has been working hard to improve his batting, I know) came to the crease with Frangelita, and they knocked-off the runs very easily – Fran finishing with a stylish six to win the match for us.


Next week Canada.

3 comments:

Richard said...

But my meagre mathematics suggests we didn't need a final ball 6 to win. We got 23 meaning we'd already passed their total by 1 run when the final 6 was hit. What's that about then? It was a good hit though.

Dave said...

It was a no ball Richard - she heard the umpire call it, which is why she took a big heave at the ball.

Richard said...

Ah. It's that extra run, as well as etc. for a no-ball that I can never get my head around in limited overs games. And you think rugby can be difficult...