Sunday

WORLD TOUR – Match 17

Well, that was an interesting match. Canada aren’t renowned as world-leaders in the field of cricket, so we expected a fairly easy game. When we arrived at the ground, though, and saw how small it was, I could see several of you practising extravagant strokes – obviously with sixes in mind.


We weren’t disappointed. Most of us who managed to make a start (and didn’t just swing away at the first ball they saw) were well rewarded. The runs certainly flowed. I’d like to pay particular respect to Richard for his long-overdue half-century, and our vice-captain, Frangelita for her century. Both of them scored entirely in boundaries – look at the score-sheet: 124 runs off just 30 balls!


We were all guilty, though, of greediness – in looking for too many sixes. Even I (I’ve only ever hit a six once in real life – my normal selection of shots keeps the ball low) was tempted into the odd aired shot. Seven of us caught out tells its own story. Who knows how much we could have gone on to score, had we just been a little more cautious.


Even so, I believe our total of 743 all out is a club record.

Tea was pleasant. If you like moose fritters, that is.


I think our score completely demoralised the Canadian team – and Tom bowling their opener with the first ball of their innings didn’t help them either.


We fairly quickly ran through them – as usual, I found that tail-end batsmen just don’t know how to play spin, and so Phil and I picked up a few wickets between us.


So, we win again.


Next week we’re off to the Netherlands, for the last match in our world tour.

No comments: