Sunday

WORLD TOUR – Match 14

Pakistan won the toss, and elected to bat. Tom got a couple of early wickets, but they battled on more strongly in the middle order, and eventually put on 73 runs.


Having seen a lot of catches dropped in previous matches, we did have a long session of catching practice before this match. I also moved the field around a lot, putting Fran in at second slip – an inspired choice, it turned out, as her gymnastic ability was displayed to the full as she held three catches. Disappointingly, two were dropped deeper in the field, off my bowling – so once again, I had to resort to getting the bulk of my wickets by bowling men out.


Unfortunately I’ve lost the picture showing our bowling stats. The key figures are: 3 catches for Frangelita; Phil 1-17, Tom 4-14, RealDoc 1-12 and me 4-9.

Tea was, I’m told by the rest of you, very tasty. I had a splitting headache, and really didn’t want to bat.


Perhaps that was a premonition, as it turned out that their two opening bowlers were very, very fast. They tore through our opening batsmen, and it was only when the Doc and I came to the wicket that we managed to put in some solid defensive play, and just block and block (with the occasional swing at a loose ball). As an indication of how tough it was, only one boundary was scored in the whole of our team’s innings – a six which Medusa stole off a no ball.


Anyway, I managed to block them (for 66 balls in total) long enough for some slower bowlers to be brought on, from whom we finally managed to pinch a few runs. They very kindly gave us 33 runs in extras, which made a huge difference, and we just crept home, at 74-7.

Never mind, a win is a win.


Next week we’re off to Sri Lanka.

3 comments:

Phil said...

Can I just say that I was in the batting form of my life yesterday and would have scored a century if I'd only been given the chance.

I can't promise I'll be in the same form next week.

Richard said...

Gosh I got some runs and a NO.

I, Like The View said...

sorry about your headache. . .