Sunday

Saturday 12th August.

Bowl Movement CC v Daisy Cutters CC. I felt confident, and back on top form – which I demonstrated by winning the toss. I also had complete confidence in our new batting line-up, and was sure that the extra week’s rest had done the whole team good.

We made a positive start, reaching 45 before Tom was caught behind. 45-1.

A half-century partnership followed, before Richard fell, clean bowled. 97-2.

Shortly after that Vicus tried to hit the ball for six, but fell short and was caught. 110-3

MinCat never really seemed in control, and edged the ball to the slips. 115-4.

Jona played a steady little innings before being bowled. 133-5

Ivy was just getting into her stride, when she was clean bowled by a yorker. 143-6.

Things were getting a little worrying, with this collapse of our middle order, but I was determined to play a steady, captain’s innings, and fortunately Frangelita who came out next decided to help me, with a brisk and exciting knock, reaching 49 before unluckily being given out LBW. 231-7

Carol did her best, before edging the ball to slips. 253-8.

Our newest player, Medusa, demonstrated some exciting talent, and will undoubtedly be batting higher up the order next week, playing a beautiful cameo innings, scoring 39, which is more than anyone could ask of a number ten batsman. Eventually she was bowled, but not before we had pushed the score on to 325-9.

I realised that if we were to get a respectable total, I would have to start taking some risks; I duly opened up my shoulders and started to score freely. Sadly, I was just five runs away from a maiden century when my partner was bowled, leaving me on 95 not out, and the team 351-10.

We may need a little fine-tuning, but overall I was quite satisfied with our new experimental batting line-up.
After the usual excellent tea that we have all come to expect (some rather pleasant extras this time, whoever provided them – how did you know I like nothing more than a nice toasted tea-cake? I noticed that Vicus seemed especially attracted by the crumpets) we took to the field, where again I had decided to try a new bowling attack, based on last month’s averages, and my theory that a slow bowler makes a surprise opener.
I was vindicated, when I took the first two wickets, the first edging to Vicus in the slips: 16-1.

The next fell LBW: 19-2

Tom got his man caught by Frangelita at second slip: 24-3.

After this early success, I switched to our second pair, Vicus and MinCat, but they were unable to make a breakthrough, and after fifty runs had been added, I moved on to Jona and Carol – Jona rewarding my faith in her as she got her man LBW: 85-4.

After a few more overs I brought back our openers, and Tom got his second wicket, caught by Vicus in the slips: 105-5.

I responded by having a batsman caught by Ivy at third slip: 122-6.

I brought on our second pair, and Vicus took his first wicket, LBW: 138-7.

A few overs later I tried our third pairing, Jona getting another wicket as I held the catch in gulley: 161-8.

The very next ball, Lisa dropped a catch.

I brought back our openers to finish off their tail, and had their number three, who had held on all this time, reaching 72, caught by Richard: 173-9.

In my next over I finished the match, as Jona caught a ball which seemed to hang in the air for hours (she had time to drop her fag, comb her hair, and wait for the ball to drop into her hands): 176-10.

That final wicket gave me a five-fer to add to my half-century, and for the team it meant a win by 175 runs.

Hurrah!


No comments: