Sunday

Saturday 19th August 2006.

A bit of a re-arrangement was required this week. Richard is on holiday, so we needed a new wicket keeper – and with Frangelita’s proven ability as a catcher of the ball, I tossed her the gloves. Vicus returned as an opening batsman, and in view of her performance last week, I promoted Medusa to number 3. With our vice-captain still missing, and with Sherlock Holmes unable to trace him, I appointed Tom in his stead.

Sadly, I lost the toss, with the opposition electing to bat.

This seemed no bad thing, as in my first over Ivy held a catch: 0-1.

A few overs later, I took the second wicket too: 21-2

After this, I switched to our second pair, Vicus and MinCat.

They couldn’t make a breakthrough, and with Vicus being knocked around, I turned to that pair of old stalwarts, Phil and Carol. My confidence was justified as Phil bowled his man with his first ball: 56-3.

As the score moved on steadily, eventually I returned to our opening bowlers. Tom was disappointed to see Frangelita drop a catch, but the next over I forced an edge to Lisa in the slips: 117-4.

After a few more overs we returned to our second pair, who caused a middle-order collapse:

MinCat having a man caught by Tom at silly mid-off: 155-5.

In the next over, Vicus took two wickets, an LBW and a bowled: 156-6 and 158-7.

Our third pair had no success, Lisa dropping an edged ball from Phil’s bowling.

I got an LBW: 184-8.

Vicus took the final two wickets in two balls, both edged behind and caught cleanly by Frangelita: 206-9 and 206-10.

Tea was OK. Oh, and Carol and Ivy, we spotted you sneaking off to the chippy.

Our opening batsmen started well, before Tom was caught and bowled: 32-1.

Vicus had been playing a cavalier innings, but finally his extravagant style led to an edge to the keeper: 85-2.

Medusa had played nicely for her 25, but was bowled in the next over: 85-3.

MinCat was unable to match her friend from the sub-continent, being out for a duck: 90-4.

This brought Jona and I together, and we pushed the score on nicely, Jona reaching her half-century with a beautiful cover drive. She was finally out, caught in the slips: 187-5.

Ivy scored a quick six, and put us within sight of the winning-post: 197-6

Frangelita and I brought us home, as we reached: 207-6.

We won by four wickets.

Hurrah again!!

1 comment:

Ivy said...

Another win, well played Captain. Can I have the first Saturday in September off please to run away on holiday for a few days?